Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve Madness

If you want to know everything that is wrong with human beings in this age, all you have to do is come to my neighborhood right about now.

It's New Year's Eve, a holiday that most people have off.

And what are people doing with their time?

All I can hear is the sound of power tools.

Obnoxious, loud, buzzing, grinding, dirt-bike sounding power tools.

And not just any power tools.

Someone is cutting down a tree.

Yes, I'm hearing the sounds of chain saws.

These losers have nothing better to do with their time than to cut down trees.

And don't tell me there's anything "heathen" about that.

Because if you think so, you ain't a heathen.

You're a Roman calling upon Germanic ancestry. You're part of empire. You live on the wrong side of the Rhine.

Anyone who was a true heathen would be a warrior for the trees.

It pisses the fuck out of me when I see people thoughtlessly cutting down trees. I know these people have no feeling for life. Everything exists for their convenience, for their utility. They are utilitarians with no sense of the sacred.

How about a holiday from harm? How about a holiday where things are holy?

The same thing happened around here on Thanksgiving.

Losers.

Losers! It's a shame there's not a tribe of warriors ready to show up with spears to surround that tree and say, "You try to take this tree down, and you see what happens!"

Those would be the kind of warriors that I would respect. In fact, the only kind of warriors who would actually deserve the name.

Our Beloved Mother Earth First! Or you ain't a heathen.

Throwin' down the gauntlet again.

Get a real life.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hate when people cut down trees needlessly. Were they doing it for a purpose maybe, i.e wind safety or whatever? If not then I completely agree, I love trees!

3:37 PM  
Blogger SiegfriedGoodfellow said...

Y'know, I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt, and I ordinarily would, but in the suburban area in which I live, I have time and again seen people doing such things for absolutely no reason at all, and sometimes explicitly because they "didn't like" trees. I do understand if it was for wind safety, and it would be a different thing if they lived in a cold area where they literally needed the firewood to stay warm (although even there I would hope they would at least make some use of the old Anglo-Saxon custom of "by hook and crook" whereby branches could be obtained when at all possible to leave the tree intact, a harvesting technique that allows the tree to live and more branches to grow later). But I'm more willing to give benefit of doubt amongst people who have proven that they have a genuine feeling for life. And it is that feeling for life that was a part of our heathen ancestors and which has been largely lost. And it's not a matter, of course, of taking a rigid ideological stance. It really is a matter of developing some level of biophilia. Biophilia doesn't mean that we don't recognize the place of death and even slaughter in the world, but as you say, the difference is one between necessary and unnecessary. If you really value life, you only take it when it's absolutely necessary, and then with a sense of responsibility and gravity.

Thank you for your comment and support!

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home