Friday, December 11, 2009

Existence is Monstrous : Resist It, O Children of Becoming!

And the Gods looked upon existence and said, "No."

"No, this is not good."

"No."

"No, this is monstrous."

And they chopped it in half. And they chopped it in quarters. And they chopped it in eighths. And they changed its shape. And they rearranged it.

And then they damned well made it good. It still needed some work, but it was a whole hell of a lot better. And they set up elves and dwarves to finish the job slowly over time. Over time, they'd iron out the kinks.

Because they didn't accept things "as they are".

Because they didn't lie down and just take what they were given.

Because they were fighters who dared.

Because they felt creative resistance to existence to be part of existence itself and therefore to be affirmed.

Gods, let me never cease fighting so long as there is blood in my veins, and let the fighting be good and rewarding.

Gods, let me never cease fighting so long as there is breath in my lungs, and let the fighting be victorious and worthwhile.

Gods, let me never cease fighting so long as evil stands arrogant upon the earth and looms over my people and my countryside, and let the fighting be advantageous and decisive.

For I am not of passive Gods who counsel acquiescence in the face of the horrific, but active, heroic Gods who fight to the last and inspire that quality in their devotees, giving counsel to listen to our deep feelings, both our longings and our revulsions, and therein to find wisdom.

O Lords, let me and my fellows be the contradictions within the monstrosity itself, working and yeasting the dough to full loaf and feast, for "existence" is "what is", while we are Children of Becoming!

3 Comments:

Blogger Diotrik said...

I enjoyed reading this and thinking on it.

Guessing by 'existence' you mean 'stasis'? A defined and non-evolving situation?

Diotrik

5:58 PM  
Blogger Brainwise said...

Wonderful and stirring!

I particularly liked this line: "For I am not of passive Gods who counsel acquiescence in the face of the horrific, but active, heroic Gods who fight to the last and inspire that quality in their devotees, giving counsel to listen to our deep feelings, both our longings and our revulsions, and therein to find wisdom."


Breathe deep, folks! There's a rarified air here.

7:41 PM  
Blogger SiegfriedGoodfellow said...

Welcome back, Brainwise! Thank you! It's as we let these stories ferment over time that their true intoxication overtakes us.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home